Who do you think should manage Ferriday water?|
Story Archives: Barnes carrying hot bat for Vikings
- 2013 - 347 articles
- 2012 - 856 articles
- 2011 - 635 articles
- 2010 - 1276 articles
- 2009 - 1591 articles
- 2008 - 1763 articles
- December 2008 - 148 articles
- November 2008 - 147 articles
- October 2008 - 183 articles
- September 2008 - 128 articles
- August 2008 - 150 articles
- July 2008 - 143 articles
- June 2008 - 120 articles
- May 2008 - 148 articles
- April 2008 - 147 articles
- April 30th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- April 24th, 2008 (Thursday) - 16 articles
- April 23rd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 14 articles
- April 18th, 2008 (Friday) - 1 articles
- April 17th, 2008 (Thursday) - 25 articles
- April 16th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 20 articles
- April 15th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- April 10th, 2008 (Thursday) - 24 articles
- April 9th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- April 3rd, 2008 (Thursday) - 20 articles
- April 2nd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 13 articles
- March 2008 - 143 articles
- February 2008 - 146 articles
- January 2008 - 160 articles
|Barnes carrying hot bat for Vikings|
Looking for some instant offense?
All Vidalia High baseball coach Johnny Lee Hoffpauir has had to do lately is dial No. 1.
Vidalia senior Trey Barnes has been on a tear in the Vikings' last two ballgames, ripping three home runs, a double and three singles, while driving in 11 runs as the Vikings posted an 18-4 win over Block on Saturday before blanking Avoyelles 13-0 Monday to improve to 11-5 overall and 4-1 in District 3-3A.
"The baseball is looking like a basketball right now," Barnes said. "I've just been hitting a lot in the cage, being patient and staying disciplined at the plate."
Barnes' first home run against Block came in the first inning as Vidalia scored six runs in its first at-bat.
Barnes had two home runs last year. He is currently hitting .417 — .515 in district games.
"It's even more special in a district game because it means a lot more," Barnes said. "I just feel like I'm in a zone right now. It's hot. I just plan on continuing to do what I am doing."
Barnes is not the only one stepping up for the Vikings.
John Brixey also homered for the Vikings against Block, adding a 3-run shot, while Seth Thompson singled twice.
Also collecting home runs against Avoyelles were Thompson, Brixey and Cameron Boyette.
Mason Ozburn had a double and two singles and Beau Doughty singled twice.
"That's our strength, swinging the bat," Hoffpauir said. "We're showing real good plate discipline and swinging at good pitches."
Jake DeWeese picked up the win for the Vikings and John Davis took the loss for the Bears.
Ozburn got the win against Avoyelles, limiting the Mustangs to two hits in improving his record to 5-1 on the season.
"Mason has really come around on the mound," Hoffpauir said. "He's given us some good outings and we're playing pretty good defense behind him."
Vidalia finishes with one loss through the first half of the season before hosting Bunkie Thursday. The Panthers gave the Vikings their lone district loss.
"We've got our own destiny in our hands, you can't ask for more than that," Hoffpauir said.
|Frank Morris Murder Series|