Are you for armed guards at schools?|
Story Archives: Vidalia basketball dominates tournaments
- 2013 - 290 articles
- 2012 - 856 articles
- 2011 - 635 articles
- 2010 - 1276 articles
- 2009 - 1591 articles
- 2008 - 1763 articles
- December 2008 - 148 articles
- November 2008 - 147 articles
- October 2008 - 183 articles
- September 2008 - 128 articles
- August 2008 - 150 articles
- July 2008 - 143 articles
- June 2008 - 120 articles
- June 30th, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- June 26th, 2008 (Thursday) - 15 articles
- June 25th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 14 articles
- June 24th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- June 19th, 2008 (Thursday) - 26 articles
- June 18th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- June 12th, 2008 (Thursday) - 19 articles
- June 11th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 13 articles
- June 5th, 2008 (Thursday) - 20 articles
- June 4th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 9 articles
- June 2nd, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- May 2008 - 148 articles
- April 2008 - 147 articles
- March 2008 - 143 articles
- February 2008 - 146 articles
- January 2008 - 160 articles
|Vidalia basketball dominates tournaments|
Vidalia High's boys basketball team lost only one game in four combined tournaments this summer, including going 8-1 in the Mississippi State Basketball Tournament in Starkville, Ms.
"That's definitely something we hope to build on," said Vidalia High boys basketball coach Robert Sanders. "One thing they told us last year that we needed to work on was team chemistry. I think we had that this year. I think the guys really bonded."
Vidalia went undefeated in the Jena, Pineville and Monterey Tournaments.
Vidalia defeated Calvin, Caldwell and Jena in the Jena Tournament.
The Vikings defeated Pineville, Tioga, Caldwell and Patterson in the Pineville Tournament.
Vidalia made it a sweep over Monterey, LaSalle, Sicily Island and Harrisonburg in the Monterey Tournament.
In the Mississippi State Tournament, Vidalia was playing in the Middle Varsity Division, against 4A and 3A teams from Mississippi, Tennessee and Alabama.
Vidalia went 5-1 in the pool division and 3-0 in the tournament.
Its only loss was to Cohoama County, Ms.
Vidalia beat Starkville II (Ms.), Hamilton Al).), Noxubee County (Ms.), Madison Central (Ms.) and Florence (Al.) in pool play before sweeping Hamilton, Lauderdale (Ms.) and Ripley (Ms.) to win the tournament.
Junior Louis Whitley won the 3-point contest, making 11 in the finals in 45 seconds.
Junior Gary Stewart finished third in the slam dunk contest.
Seniors on the 2008-09 team are Chip Davis, Rolandon Webster and Cassius Clay.
Juniors are Stewart, Whitley, Quan Riley, Torrey Dixon and Jonathan Albert.
Sophomores are Dee Fleming and D.J. Polk.
"This gave us a chance to see different types of competition," Sanders said. "We played in a situational tournament in which you were three points down or three points up with three minutes remaining to see how you can handle it."
Vidalia finished 22-8 last season, falling to Winnfield 48-47 in the first round of the playoffs.
"This will go a long way in also establishing our rotation because a lot of our guys play football and will get a late start for basketball," Sanders said.
|Frank Morris Murder Series|