Are you for armed guards at schools?|
Story Archives: Disaster recovery center opened in Harrisonburg
- 2013 - 290 articles
- 2012 - 856 articles
- 2011 - 635 articles
- 2010 - 1276 articles
- 2009 - 1591 articles
- 2008 - 1763 articles
- December 2008 - 148 articles
- November 2008 - 147 articles
- October 2008 - 183 articles
- October 30th, 2008 (Thursday) - 34 articles
- October 29th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- October 23rd, 2008 (Thursday) - 29 articles
- October 22nd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 15 articles
- October 16th, 2008 (Thursday) - 21 articles
- October 15th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- October 10th, 2008 (Friday) - 1 articles
- October 9th, 2008 (Thursday) - 20 articles
- October 8th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- October 7th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- October 5th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- October 4th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- October 2nd, 2008 (Thursday) - 25 articles
- October 1st, 2008 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- September 2008 - 128 articles
- August 2008 - 150 articles
- July 2008 - 143 articles
- June 2008 - 120 articles
- May 2008 - 148 articles
- April 2008 - 147 articles
- March 2008 - 143 articles
- February 2008 - 146 articles
- January 2008 - 160 articles
|Disaster recovery center opened in Harrisonburg|
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) opened a disaster recovery center at the Catahoula Parish Courthouse in Harrisonburg on Monday.
A center opened in Natchez last week.
FEMA Public Information Officer Ed Edahl said 654 individuals pre-registered for assistance.
The recovery center in Harrisonburg opened Monday, Oct. 13. Hours are from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily.
Edahl said "experts will be on hand to help."
Persons in Catahoula can qualify for rental assistant, assistance for repairing homes and may qualify for an SBA loan even though they don't own a business.
"Our mandate at FEMA is to put individuals back into a place that is safe, secure and sanitary," said Edahl.
"Most who go to the recovery center will get an SBA packet. All should fill it out and return it," he said.
Those turned down for SBA assistance, said Edahl, may then be eligible for a FEMA grant which does not have to be repaid. This can be used to purchase clothes, a vehicle if it was destroyed and other items.
"People say I'm not in business and I don't want an SBA loan," said Edahl. "But if they are turned for an SBA loan they are automatically eligible for extra assistance."
The SBA low-interest disaster loan is the primary source of long-term recovery assistance for homeowners, renters and business owners if they had to move because of disaster damage or loss Renters also may qualify for an SBA low-interest disaster loan for personal property damages.
PIO Jody Correro said 377 applications for assistance were filed in Natchez by Adams County residents through Saturday afternoon and 201 applied by phone. He said 230 Wilkinson County residents applied at the center through Saturday while 137 applied by phone.
Corerro said the Natchez Recovery Center is open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m on Saturday.
Betty Lou Hicks of Red Cross Chapter in Natchez said the agency is not "giving financial assistance to victims of Gustav's flooding and there is no food being given out to anyone."
|Frank Morris Murder Series|