Who do you think should manage Ferriday water?|
Story Archives: This and that....
- 2013 - 300 articles
- 2012 - 856 articles
- 2011 - 635 articles
- 2010 - 1276 articles
- 2009 - 1591 articles
- 2008 - 1763 articles
- December 2008 - 148 articles
- November 2008 - 147 articles
- October 2008 - 183 articles
- October 30th, 2008 (Thursday) - 34 articles
- October 29th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- October 23rd, 2008 (Thursday) - 29 articles
- October 22nd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 15 articles
- October 16th, 2008 (Thursday) - 21 articles
- October 15th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- October 10th, 2008 (Friday) - 1 articles
- October 9th, 2008 (Thursday) - 20 articles
- October 8th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- October 7th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- October 5th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- October 4th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- October 2nd, 2008 (Thursday) - 25 articles
- October 1st, 2008 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- September 2008 - 128 articles
- August 2008 - 150 articles
- July 2008 - 143 articles
- June 2008 - 120 articles
- May 2008 - 148 articles
- April 2008 - 147 articles
- March 2008 - 143 articles
- February 2008 - 146 articles
- January 2008 - 160 articles
|This and that....|
Scattershooting while wondering if I want to dress up like Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers for Halloween.
How strange was it Sunday to have Reggie Bush playing against JaMarcus Russell in the Louisiana Superdome and hearing chants of "Reg-gie, Reggie, Reg-gie?"
•I love to see records broken. After all, we're watching history when a record is broken.
But records should not be set at someone else's expense - or embarassment. For instance, when a team is beating another team by 40 points or more.
Last month, Evangel quarterback Dez Duron had a record-setting night as he threw eight touchdown passes to lead the Eagles to a 69-0 romp over Springhill.
Duron's eight touchdown passes are an Evangel school record. He topped the previous mark of six touchdown passes in a game held by Brock Berlin. His record came against Sarah Reed on Nov. 12, 1999.
Evangel jumped on Springhill early with four first-quarter touchdowns. Duron threw four touchdown passes in the first quarter. Duron had three more TD passes in the second half.
The Eagles led 49-0 at halftime.The decent thing would be to sit your starters and just run the ball the second half.
But Duron had to add one more to make eight to put the Eagles up 55-0.
The back-up quarterback did enter the game after that — and then HE threw a TD pass. Hmmm.
Evangel coach John Bachman, you must be proud.
Last month, Mangham led Vidalia 40-0 at halftime in Vidalia, the most points a Vidalia team had given up in one half.
Mangham head coach Bo Meeks called off the dogs in a big way and Mangham ended up winning the game 46-0.
Dez Duron may be a record-setter. But Bo Meeks is an All-American in my opinion.
•A classic Texas-Oklahoma football game Saturday was marred a bit by several questionable calls.
Officials even decided not to look at a couple of replays that probably would have reversed a couple of calls, including an interception by Oklahoma in the Longhorn end zone that was ruled as an incompletion, enabling Texas to kick a field goal.
I guess the NCAA is hearing a lot about how long some replays are taking. My take on that, if the review takes that long to decide what the right call is, it probably needs to be looked at closely.
Replays are great for football and should be used whenever there is any doubt about a call. And I don't want to hear about stopping the momentum of a game. Television does that anyway with commercials after every exchange and stoppage of play. Getting it right is worth the wait.
• It's another crazy year of college football and, once again, the BCS will look inept in deciding a national championship. Someone will be singing "Shaft" at the end of this year. Somehow I wonder if that might not be Penn State.
Bring on the controversy. Maybe we can get Congress to bail the NCAA out.
• I never expected LSU to go undefeated this year and Florida took care of that Saturday.
Now the Tigers must regroup and put the game in the Swamp behind them quickly and take care of business at South Carolina.
LSU needs to learn from its many mistakes last week and One thing I questioned right off is LSU kicking to Florida after winning the opening toss.
As eager as Tim Tebow was to get on the field and after all the pre-game talk, don't give Tebow the ball right away.
LSU's defense spent the first part of the first half standing and looking at Tebow instead of attacking.
Tebow ate LSU's lunch throwing the ball in the first half as there was no pressure.
As bad as Danny McCray can play, even the best defensive backs cannot cover someone for seven or more seconds.
The score before the half was critical. LSU got the ball on their 40-yard line after Keiland Williams caught the kickoff out of bounds.
LSU got a delay penalty and then Urban Meyer asked for a review.
I was confused on that. If the ball would have been placed back on the 13-yard line, would LSU still have gotten the delay?
A spot in the SEC championship game is still a realistic goal.
But if that happens and Florida is the opponent, do me a favor, Tigers. Take the ball first if you have the option and attack Tebow. Otherwise, he'll sit back there and kill you.
I hope that statement doesn't get taken out of context.
|Frank Morris Murder Series|