Who do you think should manage Ferriday water?|
Story Archives: McGlothin eyes plans for Ferriday
- 2013 - 300 articles
- 2012 - 856 articles
- 2011 - 635 articles
- 2010 - 1276 articles
- 2009 - 1591 articles
- December 2009 - 147 articles
- November 2009 - 140 articles
- October 2009 - 168 articles
- September 2009 - 128 articles
- August 2009 - 109 articles
- July 2009 - 144 articles
- June 2009 - 106 articles
- May 2009 - 115 articles
- April 2009 - 157 articles
- March 2009 - 126 articles
- February 2009 - 132 articles
- February 26th, 2009 (Thursday) - 25 articles
- February 25th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 7 articles
- February 24th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 4 articles
- February 19th, 2009 (Thursday) - 31 articles
- February 18th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- February 13th, 2009 (Friday) - 3 articles
- February 12th, 2009 (Thursday) - 14 articles
- February 11th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 18 articles
- February 5th, 2009 (Thursday) - 19 articles
- February 4th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- January 2009 - 119 articles
- 2008 - 1763 articles
|McGlothin eyes plans for Ferriday|
Ferriday Mayor Glen McGlothin said his trip to Washington along with other parish officials was "one of the best I've ever had as far as response and commitments."
"If they don't see you, they don't know you," McGlothin told the Ferriday Rotary Club Tuesday. "And there are a lot of new people working for our delegation, such as Tanner Johnson, who is one of the top people in Sen. Mary Landrieu's office. We met with Sen. Landrieu twice and it was very productive."
McGlothin talked with state delegates about Ferriday's water problems, Hwy. 84 and the need for a port in Vidalia.
"We don't have a four-lane or railroad, so the river is the lifeblood for this parish," McGlothin said. "And someone who can't drive eight miles for a job has a problem. I am 1,000 percent behind a port being built in Vidalia."
McGlothin said U.S. Sen. David Vitter of Louisiana told him that Sens. Trent Lott and Thad Cochran of Mississippi have been the biggest holdup for Vidalia to get a port, which they are opposing.
McGlothin said the only projects being funded today are those that are "shovel ready."
McGlothin serves as state president of the multi-state Hwy. 84 east-west El Camino Corridor.
"Texas is 72 percent complete on their four-laning and has the money for the other 28 percent but says why bother if Louisiana is a dead end," McGlothin said. "Mississippi is 100 percent complete, Alabama is 62 percent complete and has the money for the rest and Georgia is 83 percent complete. I was embarrassed to say Louisiana is 12 percent complete. Everybody realizes we need a central highway across the state. It's a $105 million project that will take three different bills to complete."
McGlothin also talked with the Congressional delegation about Ferriday's water plant and sewage problems.
"I'm meeting with the bond commission Thursday because we've already been approved for $2.3 million to redo the water plant, work on improvements and replace meters," McGlothin said.
McGlothin said the weir at Old River will be raised 7 1/2 feet.
"It will hold the rain for 48 hours and the organic matter can skim out," he said. "That will mean better water. We're probably the only town that has its plant five miles from the town."
McGlothin has also filed for a USDA waste water conservation grant for $873,000. He said the lines are collapsing.
McGlothin said a $1.8 million grant will be used to rehab the old railroad depot across from the former Pasternack building and make it into a bandstand and open air market. He also wants to refurbish the building behind the old depot into a railroad museum and to hold receptions and special events.
In other business, Chamber president Liz Brooking said businesses who are members of the Chamber will have their businesses listed on the ferridaychamber.org web site.
"And we'll help those who want to start a website," she said. "Businesses can send a note through the contact section or they can contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 757-3904," Brooking said.
|Frank Morris Murder Series|