Who do you think should manage Ferriday water?|
Story Archives: Johnson has the right stuff
- 2013 - 348 articles
- 2012 - 856 articles
- 2011 - 635 articles
- 2010 - 1276 articles
- 2009 - 1591 articles
- December 2009 - 147 articles
- November 2009 - 140 articles
- October 2009 - 168 articles
- September 2009 - 128 articles
- August 2009 - 109 articles
- July 2009 - 144 articles
- June 2009 - 106 articles
- May 2009 - 115 articles
- April 2009 - 157 articles
- March 2009 - 126 articles
- February 2009 - 132 articles
- February 26th, 2009 (Thursday) - 25 articles
- February 25th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 7 articles
- February 24th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 4 articles
- February 19th, 2009 (Thursday) - 31 articles
- February 18th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- February 13th, 2009 (Friday) - 3 articles
- February 12th, 2009 (Thursday) - 14 articles
- February 11th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 18 articles
- February 5th, 2009 (Thursday) - 19 articles
- February 4th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- January 2009 - 119 articles
- 2008 - 1763 articles
|Johnson has the right stuff|
Scattershooting while wondering why the best sleep of the night is minutes before you wake up:
There is no way LSU would be close to the basketball team it is now under John Brady.
The Mississippi State game in Starkville, Ole Miss game in Baton Rouge and Arkansas game in Fayetteville are prime examples.
LSU defeated State in double overtime despite losing Bo Spencer to an injury and Chris Johnson, Terry Martin and Storm Warren to fouls.
LSU played terrible against Ole Miss for the most part, trailing in the second half before rallying for the win.
Against Arkansas, the Tigers were down 18 in the first half.
Brady would have had his head down in all three games and stopped coaching.
Trent Johnson has the guys believing in themselves, able to regain their poise when they lose out, and having fun. The Tigers really got the cream of the crop with this guy.
• Speaking of Brady, Joe Pasternack III, whose family moved from Ferriday to New Orleans when he was very young, got a win over the former LSU coach Thursday as the University of New Orleans defeated Arkansas State 73-63 on Senior Night in the Lakefront Arena.
Arkansas State played at Louisiana-Lafayette the week before. In both instances, Brady had his press people inform the media he would not be talking about LSU after the game. ASU plays at Louisiana-Monroe on Feb. 28. I bet the same memo goes out again.
UNO is competing for a No. 7 or No. 8 seed Pasternack is in his second year as head coach of the Privateers after serving as an assistant coach at California.
• Kind of strange to get a Southern Mississippi baseball media guide and not have someone from Vidalia in it. Josh Hoffpauir was followed by Jarrett Hoffpauir who was followed by Barry Bowden. Josh is now an assistant coach at Pearl River Community College, Jarrett is looking to make the St. Louis Cardinals major league team and Barry is in the Kansas City Royals organization.
By the way, Josh still holds the team record for stolen bases in a game with six in 2000, Jarrett holds the record for most hits in a season with 109 and RBIs with 92 in 2004, while Barry ranks seventh all-time among pitchers with best ERA at 2.12 in 2008 and is second all-time in starts with 52.
• If players get left out of the Hall of Fame because of steroids, gambling or other violations, should their managers be banned if they knew about it?
• There just had to be a better way to handle the Deuce McAllister exit. The guy just has way too much class and has done so much for the Saints than to just show him the door. Hopefully they will bring him back as a coach or advisor somewhere down the road. That is if he doesn't have Frank Melton's job by then.
• I saw where the average age for Auburn's assistant coaches is 42. That got my curiosity up and I had to check out LSU's staff. The answer to that is 45. John Chavis is the oldest at 52, just nipping 51-year old Gary Crowton. The youngest is Larry Porter, the running backs coach who is in his third year at LSU. Porter was actually born in Jackson, Miss., and went to school at Memphis. Only one assistant has already celebrated a birthday - 47-year-old Ron Cooper on Feb. 11. Incidentally, head coach Les Miles was born Nov. 10, 1953, which makes him 55.
• The Louisiana High School Athletic Association's Ladies Top 28 basketball tournament will be held at two sites this year because of a possible conflict with the University of Louisiana-Monroe's men's and women's basketball teams and the Sunbelt Conference tournament.
Games scheduled for Wednesday, March 4, will be played at Thomas Assembly Center at Louisiana Tech University in Ruston.
All other games will be played as previously scheduled at Fant-Ewing Coliseum at ULM.
Wow, don't you wish ULM and Tech could work together like that when it comes to schedule college contests - especially against each other.
• Love him or hate him, Lane Kiffin is going to make an already interesting 2009 SEC season even more interesting.
Things are sure to get even rockier on Rocky Top every time the new Vol coach opens his mouth. Look for ol' Lane to be a youtube regular this fall.
|Frank Morris Murder Series|