Who do you think should manage Ferriday water?|
Story Archives: Viking hoop team has similarities
- 2013 - 340 articles
- 2012 - 856 articles
- 2011 - 635 articles
- 2010 - 1276 articles
- 2009 - 1591 articles
- December 2009 - 147 articles
- November 2009 - 140 articles
- October 2009 - 168 articles
- September 2009 - 128 articles
- August 2009 - 109 articles
- July 2009 - 144 articles
- June 2009 - 106 articles
- May 2009 - 115 articles
- April 2009 - 157 articles
- March 2009 - 126 articles
- March 26th, 2009 (Thursday) - 25 articles
- March 25th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 7 articles
- March 23rd, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- March 19th, 2009 (Thursday) - 24 articles
- March 18th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 8 articles
- March 12th, 2009 (Thursday) - 20 articles
- March 11th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- March 6th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- March 5th, 2009 (Thursday) - 21 articles
- March 4th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 6 articles
- March 2nd, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- February 2009 - 132 articles
- January 2009 - 119 articles
- 2008 - 1763 articles
|Viking hoop team has similarities|
Vidalia High assistant boys basketball coach Damus Smith said the 2008-09 Vidalia High basketball team reminds him a lot of the 1988-89 Ferriday High basketball team.
The scary thing is that I was thinking the same thing.
As much fun as those Trojans were to follow 20 years ago, these Vikings are just as much fun.
And the similarities are a bit scary.
That Ferriday team had two tall athletes, with one being able to play inside and out in Shawn Davis, while Shawn Griggs could leap through the ceiling.
Vidalia has a tall player named Gary Stewart who can bring the ball down the court and bury the 3-pointer. And Torrey Dixon can fly.
Anthony Brown was steady at guard for the Trojans and hit some key shots.
Quartrell Thomas is steady at point for Vidalia and has hit some key shots, such as the 3-pointer against Marksville with seconds remaining that tied the game and allowed the Vikings to win in overtime.
That Ferriday team had some solid role players in William White, Darian Promise and Victor Henderson. And a fella named James Davis who was a super quarterback and is now a great junior high principal.
Rolandin Webster, Jacob McGraw, Eric Bell, Quan Riley and Louis Whitley are outstanding support players.
Oh, there is another similarity. Robert Sanders is just as laid back a coach of Vidalia as Robert Cade was for Ferriday.
Cade's assistant coach was Rick Brown, who has been a superb leader at Vidalia High the past several years as principal.
Brown provided a lot of input, motivation and support for the Ferriday team. Smith serves in that same role with the current Viking boys team.
Brown, who is one of the Vikings' top athletic backers, also mentioned the similarities he sees between both teams.
It's almost like going back in time to the old Ferriday Seventh Grade gym and hearing the chants all over, "Get your hat, your coat and leaveeeeeeee," Trojan fans repeated over and over at many contests during the final moments.
Vidalia's student section known as Sanders Souldjas has been just as supportive and creative.
Oh yeah, Ferriday won the Class 3A state title in 1988 and '89. Considering there are only a couple of seniors on this year's Viking team and Stewart, Dixon and Thomas return, two in a row is not out of the question.
Robert Cade would have laughed off any mention of winning one championship back in 1988.
You won't find Robert Sanders looking that far ahead either. But, boy, the similarities.
|Frank Morris Murder Series|