Who do you think should manage Ferriday water?|
Story Archives: Richwood coach's wife eyeing Vidalia contest
- 2013 - 300 articles
- 2012 - 856 articles
- 2011 - 635 articles
- 2010 - 1276 articles
- 2009 - 1591 articles
- December 2009 - 147 articles
- November 2009 - 140 articles
- October 2009 - 168 articles
- September 2009 - 128 articles
- August 2009 - 109 articles
- July 2009 - 144 articles
- June 2009 - 106 articles
- May 2009 - 115 articles
- April 2009 - 157 articles
- March 2009 - 126 articles
- March 26th, 2009 (Thursday) - 25 articles
- March 25th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 7 articles
- March 23rd, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- March 19th, 2009 (Thursday) - 24 articles
- March 18th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 8 articles
- March 12th, 2009 (Thursday) - 20 articles
- March 11th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- March 6th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- March 5th, 2009 (Thursday) - 21 articles
- March 4th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 6 articles
- March 2nd, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- February 2009 - 132 articles
- January 2009 - 119 articles
- 2008 - 1763 articles
|Richwood coach's wife eyeing Vidalia contest|
You won't catch her husband looking ahead, but being a former Ferriday High Trojan, Audwina McKeel Martin could not help but wonder about the possibilities of husband Terry Martin's Richwood Rams facing the Vidalia Vikings in the Class 3A state championship game on Saturday in Lafayette.
Second-seeded Vidalia had to get past No. 3 Patterson Wednesday night, while fourth-seeded Richwood was facing top-rated Plaquemine.
"I told my husband when we first started this journey we might wind up playing Vidalia," said Audwina, who graduated from Ferriday High in 1978. "That brings back a lot of old memories. It was always a great rivalry and I would look forward to playing them again."
Richwood won the state championship in 2005 when Terry and Audwina's son, Terry Jr., was a senior.
The younger Terry is now a senior guard at LSU after transferring from Texas Tech two years ago and is currently preparing for the SEC Tournament.
Their younger son, Keldric, is a senior on the Richwood team and averaging 12.5 points a game.
Last year, Richwood lost to neighboring Wossman in the state finals and in 2007 it made the tournament but lost in the semi-finals.
The Rams are actually going after their fourth LHSAA state basketball title because they also won in both 1972 and 1983 under coach Herschel West.
Audwina said she had first planned to go to Tampa, Fla., to watch her son in the SEC Tournament.
"I'm kind of been going back and forth all year between LSU and Richwood," Audwina said. "I was heading to Tampa up until yesterday (Tuesday). But because Keldric might be in the championship game and I remembered the excitement of when little Terry won it I didn't want to take a chance on missing out. I want to be here and little Terry understood. I'll go watch him play in the NCAA Tournament."
This year's Richwood team is led by Marceis Davis, who averages 18 points a game, and LaDon Carter, who averages 17 points and 14 rebounds.
"This team is kind of similar to the team that won the championship in '05," Coach Martin said. "We have 10 players who can contribute."
Audwina said members of her family from Ferriday have talked about coming to the championship game Saturday if the Rams make it.
"I think they'll be rooting for us," Audwina said. "I understand that's still a pretty good rivalry down there. I'm proud of Vidalia and what they've accomplished this year. And it will be strange if they are on the other side. It will be like the old days."
|Frank Morris Murder Series|