Who do you think should manage Ferriday water?|
Story Archives: Arson suspected in Catahoula Parish wildfire
- 2013 - 300 articles
- 2012 - 856 articles
- 2011 - 635 articles
- 2010 - 1276 articles
- 2009 - 1591 articles
- December 2009 - 147 articles
- November 2009 - 140 articles
- October 2009 - 168 articles
- September 2009 - 128 articles
- August 2009 - 109 articles
- July 2009 - 144 articles
- June 2009 - 106 articles
- May 2009 - 115 articles
- April 2009 - 157 articles
- March 2009 - 126 articles
- March 26th, 2009 (Thursday) - 25 articles
- March 25th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 7 articles
- March 23rd, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- March 19th, 2009 (Thursday) - 24 articles
- March 18th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 8 articles
- March 12th, 2009 (Thursday) - 20 articles
- March 11th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- March 6th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- March 5th, 2009 (Thursday) - 21 articles
- March 4th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 6 articles
- March 2nd, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- February 2009 - 132 articles
- January 2009 - 119 articles
- 2008 - 1763 articles
|Arson suspected in Catahoula Parish wildfire|
Agriculture and Forestry Commissioner Mike Strain said 15 to 20 wildfires burned nearly 100 acres of timberland in the rural area near the Manifest and Aimwell communities of Catahoula Parish early Tuesday morning.
Strain said Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry firefighters on the ground and air had all of the fires contained by mid-morning. The fires were set around 3 a.m. Seven LDAF fire crews with bulldozers and other heavy equipment from Catahoula, LaSalle, Grant and Caldwell parishes responded to the wildfire call.
LDAF Fire District 3 manager Robert Lamb said the fires were deliberately set on locations along Amyx Road and Posey-Webb Camp Road.
"The fires were not a threat to any homes or structures," Strain said. "Approximately 100 acres of timberland was destroyed."
Depending on the age of the timber, the estimated damage from the wildfires may be as high as $160,000.
Strain said LDAF wildfire enforcement personnel would examine the burned area and begin an official investigation.
More than 900 wildfires have destroyed 12,807 acres of timberland in 2009 so far, Strain said. The average wildfire is contained to 10 acres.
"Wildfire arson is a very serious matter and will be investigated and prosecuted fully," Strain said. "Please report suspected arson or wildfire activity as soon as possible."
To report a forestry related crime, please call 225-925-4500.
|Frank Morris Murder Series|