Are you for armed guards at schools?|
Story Archives: Ferriday opens district against Mangham
- 2013 - 290 articles
- 2012 - 856 articles
- 2011 - 635 articles
- 2010 - 1276 articles
- 2009 - 1591 articles
- December 2009 - 147 articles
- November 2009 - 140 articles
- October 2009 - 168 articles
- October 29th, 2009 (Thursday) - 27 articles
- October 28th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 8 articles
- October 26th, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- October 22nd, 2009 (Thursday) - 25 articles
- October 21st, 2009 (Wednesday) - 19 articles
- October 20th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- October 15th, 2009 (Thursday) - 27 articles
- October 14th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 5 articles
- October 9th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- October 8th, 2009 (Thursday) - 24 articles
- October 7th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 6 articles
- October 3rd, 2009 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- October 1st, 2009 (Thursday) - 23 articles
- September 2009 - 128 articles
- August 2009 - 109 articles
- July 2009 - 144 articles
- June 2009 - 106 articles
- May 2009 - 115 articles
- April 2009 - 157 articles
- March 2009 - 126 articles
- February 2009 - 132 articles
- January 2009 - 119 articles
- 2008 - 1763 articles
|Ferriday opens district against Mangham|
Ferriday High begins play in District 2-2A Friday as the Trojans host Mangham High.
"This is the toughest district in the state," said Ferriday head coach Freddie Harrison. "This is the SEC of college football. This is what we played the first five games of the season for. At this point it's not a matter of what, who or how long, you just have to do what you have to do to get the job done."
Ferriday brings a 4-1 mark into the contest, while Mangham is 4-1, with both teams dropping their openers.
"They have a real good football team," Harrison said. "They have athletes and a lot of tradition. They are a young team and still building and maturing every day. Those guys are working hard and they have a new coach (Tommy Tharp) who had instilled a great attitude into them."
Mangham High School spoiled Block's Homecoming with a 30-23 win over the Bears last week.
Dragon tailback Shaquille Ausberry, who finished with 142 yards on 18 carries, cut right and outrun the defense 41 yards to open the scoring.
"Ausberry is a real good athlete who just needs a crease," Harrison said. "He's a track guy with football toughness. He has a unique way of running the football."
Mangham uses different sets, including the single wing on offense.
"We have to play technique-style football," Harrison said. "Our guys have to read their keys, not try and find the football. The keys will take you to the football."
The contest is Mangham's district opener, as well.
"They are the best football team we've faced so far," Tharp said. "They are extremely athletic and very well coached. We expect a whale of a ballgame. We won't be able to hit the big play as easily as we have all season because they have tremendous team speed. It's going to come down to turnovers. We're a little bummed up and dinged up right now like most everybody else, but we're taking it day to day."
|Frank Morris Murder Series|