Who do you think should manage Ferriday water?|
Story Archives: JYD back in the house
- 2013 - 300 articles
- 2012 - 856 articles
- 2011 - 635 articles
- 2010 - 1276 articles
- 2009 - 1591 articles
- December 2009 - 147 articles
- November 2009 - 140 articles
- October 2009 - 168 articles
- October 29th, 2009 (Thursday) - 27 articles
- October 28th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 8 articles
- October 26th, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- October 22nd, 2009 (Thursday) - 25 articles
- October 21st, 2009 (Wednesday) - 19 articles
- October 20th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- October 15th, 2009 (Thursday) - 27 articles
- October 14th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 5 articles
- October 9th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- October 8th, 2009 (Thursday) - 24 articles
- October 7th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 6 articles
- October 3rd, 2009 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- October 1st, 2009 (Thursday) - 23 articles
- September 2009 - 128 articles
- August 2009 - 109 articles
- July 2009 - 144 articles
- June 2009 - 106 articles
- May 2009 - 115 articles
- April 2009 - 157 articles
- March 2009 - 126 articles
- February 2009 - 132 articles
- January 2009 - 119 articles
- 2008 - 1763 articles
|JYD back in the house|
So how much confidence did Ferriday coach Freddie Harrison have in his defense Friday night in the Trojans' District 2-2A opener against Mangham at Ferriday's Melz Field?
How about the fact he started off the game with an onsides kick from his 25-yard line.
Or the fact he went for it on fourth down twice in his own territory in the first quarter.
Ferriday was penalized 15 yards before the opening kickoff after Trojan players ran on the field fittingly carrying a JYD (Junkyard Dog) sign rebuilt by Ferriday assistant coach Cleothis Cummings, a jack of all trades who also is a barber.
Harrison had his team attempt an onsides kick that actually went off a Mangham player and two Trojan players had a chance to recover it before Mangham came up with the ball at the Trojan 47.
"We were just trying something different," Harrison said. "Our defense has been playing well all season, allowing 12 points a game and our offense is averaging 27 points a game, so that had a lot to do with it. We thought we might catch them sleeping and we almost got it."
A first down pass picked up 10 yards, but then Montel Hardman was tackled by Julius White four yards behind the line of scrimmage, followed by two incompletions and a punt.
On fourth-and-four on Ferriday's first possession, Davonta Scott picked up one yard.
Ferriday recovered a fumble and two plays later scored the first touchdown of the game.
Late in the first quarter, Ferriday had fourth-and-three on its 32, but a pass play picked up one yard.
"We have a lot of confidence in our defense, and they set the tone early," Harrison said. "They made sure they arrived at the football with an attitude."
As for the incident before the game which led to the unsportsmanlike penalty before the game, Harrison made it clear his staff and administration does not condone such action and the players were punished for it.
Harrison said Mangham players were in the middle of the field during warm-ups saying this was their house.
"That wasn't anything that was planned and we apologize for what transpired," Harrison said. "It wasn't meant to be thuggish or intimidating. They just got caught up in the emotion of the contest. But that was not acceptable on my part. That's not what we do and actions were taken regarding that situation."
|Frank Morris Murder Series|