Who do you think should manage Ferriday water?|
Story Archives: Monterey tips off season with wins
- 2013 - 300 articles
- 2012 - 856 articles
- 2011 - 635 articles
- 2010 - 1276 articles
- 2009 - 1591 articles
- December 2009 - 147 articles
- November 2009 - 140 articles
- October 2009 - 168 articles
- October 29th, 2009 (Thursday) - 27 articles
- October 28th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 8 articles
- October 26th, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- October 22nd, 2009 (Thursday) - 25 articles
- October 21st, 2009 (Wednesday) - 19 articles
- October 20th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- October 15th, 2009 (Thursday) - 27 articles
- October 14th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 5 articles
- October 9th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- October 8th, 2009 (Thursday) - 24 articles
- October 7th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 6 articles
- October 3rd, 2009 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- October 1st, 2009 (Thursday) - 23 articles
- September 2009 - 128 articles
- August 2009 - 109 articles
- July 2009 - 144 articles
- June 2009 - 106 articles
- May 2009 - 115 articles
- April 2009 - 157 articles
- March 2009 - 126 articles
- February 2009 - 132 articles
- January 2009 - 119 articles
- 2008 - 1763 articles
|Monterey tips off season with wins|
Monterey High boys and girls teams tipped off their season with wins on October 20, sweeping Georgetown at Georgetown.
Monterey's boys started the season with a resounding 64-29 win over Georgetown in Georgetown on October 20.
Monterey scored 40 points in the first period, leading 40-20 before cruising to the win.
Ethan Cannon led the Wolves with 16 points, while Ross Lipsey added 11 and Cade Crum nine.
"We played good defense and very well overall," said first year Monterey boys coach Eric Richard. "It was a good win to start the season."
Monterey fell to Atlanta 49-40 in the first round of the Atlanta Tournament Thursday.
After both teams scored five points in the first period, Atlanta outscored Monterey 23-10 in the second period.
Monterey trailed by as much as 18 before cutting the lead to eight with three minutes remaining in the game and possession of the ball.
"We just couldn't that basket we needed at that point," Richard said. "We dug ourselves a hole early and couldn't get out of it."
Josh Chapman led Monterey with 15 points.
Monterey's girls defeated Georgetown 37-32.
Monterey scored 19 points in the first half and 18 in the second half.
Rachel Pecanty led the Lady Wolves with 10 points, while Ellen Bairnsfather added seven.
The Lady Wolves fell to Atlanta 64-31 in the Atlanta Tournament.
Monterey had four points in the first quarter and nine in the seocnd period.
Brooke Baker led the Lady Wolves wtih 13 points, while Rachel Pecanty added 10.
On Tuesday night, Monterey's girls defeated Forest 43-25 at Forest..
Monterey, Forest and Georgetown were all in the same district last year before being re-classified.
"It's kind of strange playing those teams this early," said Lady Wolves coach Cary Shively. "But no one else plays basketball at this time of the year."
Brooke Baker had a career high 20 points in the win against Forest.
"The girls played hard even though we didn't shoot the ball well as a team," Shively said.
Monterey's boys fell to Forest, 51-47.
Monterey plays in the Calvin Tournament this weekend.
Monterey has its home opener on November 3 as the Wolves host Grace Christian.
|Frank Morris Murder Series|