Are you for armed guards at schools?|
Story Archives: Teams set spring football contests
- 2013 - 290 articles
- 2012 - 856 articles
- December 2012 - 55 articles
- November 2012 - 87 articles
- October 2012 - 93 articles
- September 2012 - 80 articles
- August 2012 - 109 articles
- July 2012 - 71 articles
- June 2012 - 68 articles
- May 2012 - 72 articles
- May 31st, 2012 (Thursday) - 7 articles
- May 30th, 2012 (Wednesday) - 8 articles
- May 25th, 2012 (Friday) - 1 articles
- May 23rd, 2012 (Wednesday) - 13 articles
- May 17th, 2012 (Thursday) - 6 articles
- May 16th, 2012 (Wednesday) - 9 articles
- May 10th, 2012 (Thursday) - 6 articles
- May 9th, 2012 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- May 2nd, 2012 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- May 1st, 2012 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- April 2012 - 55 articles
- March 2012 - 59 articles
- February 2012 - 66 articles
- January 2012 - 41 articles
- 2011 - 635 articles
- 2010 - 1276 articles
- 2009 - 1591 articles
- 2008 - 1763 articles
|Teams set spring football contests|
Ferriday High will hold its spring scrimmage Thursday at 6 p.m. at Melz Field, while Vidalia will hold its Blue-White Game Saturday at 5 p.m. at Dee Faircloth Viking Stadium.
Both contests are $2.
The Louisiana High School Athletic Association ruled that this year spring games have to be intrasquad contests.
Ferriday coach Richard Oliver is asking fans to bring one canned food item also as part of the admission. Those cans will go toward the local food bank.
Oliver said the Ferriday band is tentatively scheduled to attend the game.
Oliver said he has 45-to-50 players out this spring.
"We'll get an idea of who can play, who can compete under the lights and before a crowd," Oliver said.
There will be no kicking game involved.
"We are not going to do all the things we want because we are shorthanded as far as coaches," Oliver said.
Oliver said he has been very pleased with the offseason conditioning of his players.
"It's better than I thought it would be," he said. "Miguel (Paige) has done a good job at quarterback and Shannon Morales have been impressive there, as well. I've been impressed with all the kids. They have averaged about 25-to-30 pounds maxing out where they were last year. Our freshmen for next year have come in and done a good job. We should have a lot more depth this season."
Vidalia High football coach Gary Paul Parnham has about 51 players out this spring, including 16 rising freshmen.
"We are green as grass," Parnham said. "Right now we are lacking aggression. The guys have a good attitude and the seniors are showing good leadership and hopefully that will continue through the summer."
Assistant coaches Brett Hinson and Kale Davis will coach two teams in the scrimmage Saturday.
"Everybody is going to play and we'll have a chance to see how they look under game-type conditions," Parnham said. "We're putting in a new offense, so we'll get a chance to see how they perform running it."
|Frank Morris Murder Series|